What a surprise it was for Mom and Dad to have breakfast made for them today. Thank you Shari and Russ for the delicious start to the day and your amazing friendship! They really enjoyed spending time with you this morning.
Saturday was a good day for Mom, she was able to eat well and consumed a lot of protein which made her feel more energetic and she enjoyed the day with Dad and Charity, overall her spirits are high as she prepares for this next week.
We’re still trying to diagnose the primary source of this cancer. Mom had her MRI Saturday and is scheduled for her PET scan this coming Friday (unless we are lucky enough to get it moved to a sooner date), these tests should confirm the primary source and we are still hopeful it is primary breast cancer as the treatment for this type of cancer has the highest success rate.
Monday Mom and Dad go in for Chemo orientation which will tell them what to expect, side effects, protocol etc. Mom starts Chemo this Wednesday.
We don’t know exactly what to expect, but we are planning for the worst and hoping for the best. Everyone has been so generous and offering to help in whatever way they could and we are so gracious and appreciative. I knew my mom was superwoman but until she physically couldn’t do it all anymore, I don’t think anyone realized how much she really did and carried on her shoulders. She reads every post and is so completely overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support that she is receiving from everyone!
Anticipating that mom will be very sick, we have come up with a few things that we could really use some help with.
1) Germ Free Environment- With my mom’s already suppressed immune system and the effects from the Chemo; we want to ensure the house stays as clean as possible. We are looking for referrals for a housekeeper to come once a week and thoroughly clean the house.
This person should be:
- Understanding of the situation, able to “work around” Diane
- Inexpensive (we don’t really have “extra” funds for this)
If anyone has a referral for us, please email me directly at Jmeelyn@gmail.com
2) This also means we are asking that all visits are scheduled, no drop by visits please. All visitors must be in good health, we don’t want to risk any exposure during this time to the flu etc. Thanks for understanding.
3) Dinners- Thank you so much to those of you who have brought or are bringing dinner!! If you are signed up for a dinner, or plan to sign up for a dinner, there will be an ice chest in the front of the house to drop off dinner in case Diane isn’t feeling up to visitors.
4) Sheets- We are anticipating a need to change sheets often, we would like to collect some extra sheets, these can be new or gently used twin size (84″ long x 36″ wide x12” deep) fitted sheets. If you can donate these, that would be incredibly helpful.
Thank you so much for everyone’s thoughts, prayers and kind words. You have no idea what it means to us as a family to know that we have so much support and love!
Until next time…